Wednesday, November 9, 2011

art everyday - 9

Today is going to be little tutorial on how to make your own Glimmer Mists. Glimmer mists have become increasingly popular lately, especially in Art Journaling. But they can get expensive, sometimes up to 5 or more dollars per mist. So when I happened upon this video on how to make them yourself, I decided to give it a go. 







Supplies you will need:

Spray Bottles: I found mine at the dollar store in a pack that had 2 bottles. One had a squirt top, the other had a spray top. Still, they were only a dollar for the 2.

Craft Paint: I bought these at Walmart for 1.00 each, but I know with a good sale or coupons they can be found for less. I bought 4 regular colors, and 2 that were metallic to emulate the "glimmer".

Distilled Water: Some research I did says this is the best water to use, as it keeps the paint from spoiling.

Rubbing Alcohol: This is used to help the paint dry more quickly.

Perfect pearls: You can add a "paint brush dip amount" into the regular paint bottles to make it a glimmer paint if desired. 


The Recipe:

Fill the bottle 3/4 full with the Water. Add a splash of alcohol, and a good squeeze or two of paint. The more paint you add the more opaque your spray will be. Give it a good shake and let the painting fun begin :). 


Here are a few examples of some of the sprays in action. I sprayed on Gessoed pages of my Art Journal using some masking stencils.....


Blue Metallic

Regular Pink

     Green/Gold Metallic- I ended up adding a bit more paint to this one to heighten the color






Although the glimmer isnt apparent in the pictures it is very apparent in person, sorry that the camera couldnt pick that up.


Remember that overspray will occur, so protect the surfaces you don't want paint on. I didnt do that initially and my phone was a lovely shade of sparkly blue ;)


Overall I spent 13.50 to make 6 paints. I could maybe buy 2-3 ready made sprays for that price. Plus I can make more because I already have the paint. So at 2.25 per paint I think overall, this was a great deal!! 


I hope you give this a try and make some. And if you do, come back and share what you think.


I hope your day is filled with lots of glimmery goodness!!


Kelley xo

17 comments:

  1. Thanks Kells! I love mixed media and journaling and have no idea where to begin? These patterns are beautiful! xoxo Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Kelley! I picked up a bunch of glimmer mists at Scrapbook Expo last year that I have never used. I'm going to need to get them out. Then when I run out, I know how to make more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The LinkWithin looks great, I love being able to click on your other posts!
    Now that is what I call art supplies! Need to try this, thanks for sharing.

    I just had a chance to look at AEDM # 4. Love that piece. The colors are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sooo need to get some glimmer mist thingies... I could make a huge mess with them... thanks for the quick lesson and ideas... xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great, Kelley!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic. A wonderful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the tutorial, I have never used any of the sprays but I plan to make some soon to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about buying some acrylic spray paint. It would be used in somewhat the same manner. I might just have to give your idea a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your swirly template!!! :-) looks pretty cool!!! thanks for this great tutorial!!

    xoxo
    ida

    http://asplashofida.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really cool. One of my art students would love this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this! I love the look, and it seems easy enough for even me to make ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooo! Nice, thanks for the ideas! Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tutorial! I will have to try them out! I am always looking for new techniques. The pages are looking lovely already!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great technique. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great tutorial kelley. thanks so much for sharing. i'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun and creative ways to add glimmering colors, thanks for sharing the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic tutorial, Kelley, thanks so much for the tips. I hate spending so darn much every time I want to try a new technique! Your way is much cheaper, and the effect is great! Soon as I can get some space to work, I want to try it...:)

    ReplyDelete